[Folkserv] Fw: Ethnographic Field School Summer 2023 (On The Ground and On Line Options)

Shuman, Amy shuman.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 26 10:50:40 EDT 2022

________________________________
From: The Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School <info at AnthroFieldSchool.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 10:54 PM
To: Shuman, Amy <shuman.1 at osu.edu>
Subject: Ethnographic Field School Summer 2023 (On The Ground and On Line Options)

Please share with students: Ethnographic Research and Training, Isla Mujeres, Mexico Trouble viewing this email? Read it online ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
<https://us-phishalarm-ewt.proofpoint.com/EWT/v1/KGKeukY!ssQTnUaBwwagK7nRfq6ktDi_Lp3a-27ePFl71qu1J98UaDvDIaR6AN80GxY-24i1VWRmKG2BZHGVnSdq9BRVnXloKOHHp63jw1ZZbOz6Acc5YJhqe1E$>
Report Suspicious

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Please share with students: Ethnographic Research and Training, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Trouble viewing this email? Read it online<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://archive.mailengine1.com/csb/Public/show/f285-2lh7zc--11a648-91ei9u65__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4QwS7duf$>
Greetings,

My name is Todd Pierce and I am the Director at the Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School (on the small Caribbean island, Isla Mujeres, Mexico). I hope you can share the information about the Field School with your students. We accept all levels, from undergraduate to post-doctorate in our training program.
Below is the information for our summer 2023 programs. We are offering our (on-the-ground) flagship 8-week Advanced Methods course, our 3-week Methods Practicum, and an online course that is 8-weeks, called FieldCraft.
Our posted tuition rate for the on-the-ground sessions is subject to change, as housing prices have changed. So stay tuned for updates.
We also have a wonderful scholarship program to announce:

IXCHEL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

FIVE INDIVIDUAL $1000 USD SCHOLARSHIPS

SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICABLE AGAINST TUITION ONLY

​

AVAILABLE FIRST COME FIRST SERVE TO ADVANCED METHODS STUDENTS

​

The Ixchel Scholarships are available to Advanced Methods students (8 week program on Isla Mujeres) who have been accepted by December 15, 2022, and whose research proposal is completed by Feb 30, 2023 (faculty guidance will be given).

The scholarships are for $1,000 USD and will be awarded to the first 5 students of the Advanced Methods course that apply and are accepted by the December 15th deadline. Please email info at anthrofieldschool.com<mailto:info at anthrofieldschool.com> for details.

________________________________
Summer 2023 Sessions:

Advanced Methods (8 weeks): June 3 - July 30
https://www.anthrofieldschool.com/ethnographyadvancedmethods<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-olesz5-91ei9u63/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4eNw80FW$>
The main program is our 8-week long Advanced Methods course where students create a professional research proposal (using the Wenner Gren Foundation format) in advance of their arrival, conduct the research, and present their data in a professional conference-style format, as well as prepare academic journal-style articles intended for publication. This session also includes PADI Open Water Diver training and certification, dives observing the reefs and Sea Turtle mating season, swimming with Whale Sharks (and Giant Mantas if we are lucky), as well as an overnight stay in the colonial town of Valladolid with visits to Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, and a swim in an ancient underground cenote. Although this course is 8 weeks "on the ground", we begin proposal development well in advance online so that the student is prepared as much as possible upon arrival.
________________________________

Methods Practicum (3 weeks): June 10 - July 2
https://www.anthrofieldschool.com/ethnographyfieldschoolpracticum<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-olesz6-91ei9u64/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4afV1Z2A$>
The Methods Practicum embeds the students within a current research project where they will learn various methods, the theories behind them, and get to put those methods to practice, along with various other ethnographic data collection tasks, fieldnotes, and analysis. In keeping with our team-research approach, the practicum students are research colleagues of the Advanced Methods projects. If/when publications are created from those projects, the practicum students who are significantly involved on those projects can be co-authors on publications. Practicum students who apply early can select a project (or two) that they would like to be involved on and participate in proposal development as well as the writing of the final reports.
________________________________

FIELDCRAFT  (8-week Online Remote Training) JUNE 3 - JULY 26

ENVISIONING THE PROCESS, PRACTICE, AND PHILOSOPHY OF ETHNOGRAPHIC RESEARCH

https://www.anthrofieldschool.com/copy-of-summer-2020-online-session-1<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-olesz7-91ei9u65/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4W4Rk8rT$>

This session is designed for students who can not logistically attend our summer sessions in person, but who want to study ethnographic research, participate in group projects, and learn the process (and difficulties as they present themselves) of ethnographic research.

​

Students of the FieldCraft session will participate in lectures offered to our Advanced Methods and Methods Practicum students, as well as 'live' lectures conducted on the island via Zoom (or some other format), where every student, either in-person or remote can interact within the lecture series discussion.

FieldCraft students may also join one of the research teams created via the 8 Week Advanced Methods program. As team members, our remote students will collect valuable data via online sources, create and conduct online surveys, conduct remote interviews, as well as collaborate on transcriptions, translations, data analysis, and ethnographic representations. This is an effort to use existing technologies to expand the idea of team-based ethnographic research. If the student contributes meaningfully to a project that is prepared for publication, they may assist in the creation and editing of those articles and receive co-authorship if published. This can apply to conference papers as well.

This course might be particularly useful for those who are either planning projects (Senior thesis, Master's thesis, or Ph.D. dissertations) or who are in the middle of projects and are seeking research therapy to help get them on track. All of the theories, ethics, and methods that are discussed in our on-the-ground summer session will be covered. This course can help a student design a research project for their degree requirements and can include one-on-one problem-solving discussions. Students may also conduct their own research during this online training session, but at their home location.

​

________________________________

An overview:
Our students not only learn how to create a professional academic research proposal (which must be completed, with our guidance, before their arrival), receive training on the theory, ethics, and methods of ethnographic research, experience cultural and linguistic immersion, conduct the proposed research (that is participatory, community-based and service-learning informed) and present their data in a conference, but are also guided to publish their research results in peer-reviewed academic journals. And many succeed in doing so.
The Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School specializes in community-based projects and trains students on how to conduct ethnographic research. Located on a small Mexican Caribbean island, much of the student research is focused on community needs per their request. Some of our current areas of interest: Culture & Environment, Latin America & Caribbean, Medical Anthropology, Gender & Identity, History, Space & Meaning, and Economic Development. There is a wide variety of subjects for research. In the past, some students have conducted research on diabetes, body image and health, GLBT identity, teenage pregnancy, HIV and Dengue Fever prevention, Economic Development and Tourism, Sea Turtle, reef, and Whale Shark conservation. Over the past two years, we have conducted several very important Covid focused projects as well.

For more information, please see our website: http://www.AnthroFieldSchool.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-olesz8-91ei9u66/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4XF3Tig7$>
________________________________

The Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School (I.F.S.) is dedicated to the professionalization of ethnographic research and the training of students on how to conduct ethical, meaningful, and professional research. Our mission is to train ethnographers that we are confident in and that we know can get the job done. Be it future graduate school research or projects for employers. Our trained ethnographers can tackle a research project from beginning to end with confidence, experience, and know-how.

Students will participate in formal lectures, informal presentations, service learning, government meetings and briefings, and ethnographic research that serves to assist the people of Isla Mujeres either through applied anthropological techniques or through creating a more full ethnographic record that illuminates the island's past, present, and possible future. Students will be immersed in the culture of the island and will conduct collaborative research with its residents. Students will learn the value of teamwork by helping each other on projects, talking through field research problems, and supporting each other in their professional development.

We train both undergraduate and graduate students. We also have post-docs who attend the Field School for further training and career development. Our program gives students the cutting edge needed to get into good graduate school programs, develop graduate school dissertation research (which will help in securing research funding for dissertations), and will help them land the job they want in the discipline. Some undergraduates have used their experience and data for senior thesis projects, while graduate students use it for pilot research to develop their Master's thesis or doctoral dissertations. Over the past couple of years, we have had at least a 20% publication rate from our students (in peer-reviewed academic articles, like Practicing Anthropology).
It would be greatly appreciated if you could forward this information to your undergraduate and graduate students. We also welcome faculty members to join us as guest lecturers (email us for details).

Sincerely,
Todd G. Pierce, Ph.D.
Director
The Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Field School

Info at AnthroFieldSchool.com
Admissions at AnthroFieldSchool.com
202-241-5325 (USA)
998-139-7122 (MX)
http://www.AnthroFieldSchool.com <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-olesz9-91ei9u67/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4SU9iTpF$>

https://www.facebook.com/Islamujeresethnographicfieldschool<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-olesza-91ei9u67/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4dYe4ZuD$>
http://instagram.com/anthrofieldschool<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/f285-2lh7zc-oleszb-91ei9u68/__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4df1W4Nc$>
[http://media.campaigner.com/media/70/702725/IFS%20logo.png]
Read More

This email is intended for shuman.1 at osu.edu.
Update your preferences<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/form?2lh7zc--ysan-91ei9u61&sl=2yo&t=1&ac=f285__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4QfrGprg$> or Unsubscribe<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://go2.mailengine1.com/form?2lh7zc--ysan-91ei9u61&sl=2yo&t=5&ac=f285__;!!KGKeukY!3UxekR0dQyxsqlf9unjSGktR4b-iMhmigAx_Nw_hwPWk_ToOzYa35SiOlQZNX1vcxOWi9TaNdZsc4RrMoH_F$>