[Folkserv] Coming up!--Society for Disability Studies conference (April 8-10) and Multiple Perspectives (April 10-11)

Moriarty, Megan moriarty.8 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 4 09:59:59 EDT 2022

Hello all—

You may remember that OSU has served as a co-host of the international Society for Disability Studies conference since 2018—and that the Office of the ADA Coordinator also hosts the Multiple Perspectives conference every year. These concurrent conferences are coming right up!—April 8-11.

I hope you will register for one or both conferences, and check out the extraordinary range of offerings. The SDS conference is free to anyone who requests it, and Multiple Perspectives is free to members of the OSU community. As someone who has been in various administrative roles for SDS over many years, and has worked very hard to keep the conference in existence for the last few years, I want to add that the current Board of Directors is doing amazing work and this year’s conference looks SO GOOD!

Below, I’ve pasted the titles and descriptions of a few sessions that I think may be of particular interest. I hope you’ll join me in attending some!

  *   Register for Multiple Perspectives (all online): https://web.cvent.com/event/677d4275-3b5d-4adc-ba9f-3696ad856064/summary
  *   Register for SDS (all online): https://disstudies.org/index.php/sds-annual-conference/

Here’s a very partial sampling of offerings!

India in the Time of Covid-19: A Survey of Precarities

Presenters: Shilpaa Anand, Vandana Chaudhry, Hemachandran Karah, Nandini Ghosh, Shubhangi Vaidya

We discuss how pandemic related precarities played out in different realms of the Indian context. In the absence of governmental infrastructure, not-for-profit organizations and disability networks collaborated to offer survival support to disabled people in rural areas. Social solidarities and collective building efforts emerged. Similarly, other forms of kinship and familial care evolved and disrupted normative care relations. Disabled people's capacity to render care and assume agency became noticeable. With the pandemic's proliferation of digitization and faith in its access potential. Reflecting on digital inclusion and exclusion the panel discusses the varied nature of inaccessibility experienced by disabled people living at the margins of society and technology. We also acknowledge that digital access in a learning environment produces disembodied relationalities given its special affinity for productivity and its cognitive orientation.

Neurodivergent Semiotics

Presenters:

Sean Yeager, Tuning Curves: A Neuroqueer Exponential Heuristic For Un-Understanding Interpersonal Hermeneutics

Sara M. Acevedo, Autism and Myth: A Semiotics of Excess

M. Remi Yergeau, Intrusive Trans Thoughts: Rhetorics of Exposure and Pathology in Behavioral Intervention Technologies

The Ableism of Research Ethics Reviews: Consent, Capacity, and Vulnerability

Presenters: Hannah Quinn and Rebecca-Eli Long

Ostensibly in place to protect research participants, research ethics reviews often perpetuate ableism. This discussion group seeks to share experiences, strategies, and commiserations around research ethics reviews involving disabled people as participants and researchers. Questions to be posed include: 1) How are disabled people classified as a vulnerable population by ethics boards at different universities? 2) What strategies do researchers use to negotiate ableist concepts of “consent” and “capacity?” 3) What are our obligations as scholars to our participants when negotiating ableist institutional structures? The facilitators will share their experiences and open to audience discussion about what it means to do ethical research in the context of disability. We encourage attendees to reflect on disability as a lived experience, a research orientation, and as grounds for ethics. Come listen, share your own experiences, and dream about/collaborate on alternative research relations.

"Freekey”: Keys to Freedom - Advancing Personal Assistance Services in Hungary

Presenters: Elizabeth Sammons, Daniel Csángó, Nikolett Rékasi, Veronika Kalász, and Zsuzsanna Kunt

Hungary’s personal assistance system has evolved since Communist times, but not to the satisfaction of leaders in the disability community. The “Freekeys” of Budapest will outline the current situation, as well as sharing current and future strategies to address both social and political/financial issues that create barriers to self-determination.

Audio Description: For AND BY People Who Are Blind

Presenters: Joel Snyder and Chris Snyder

Chris Snyder, a blind advocate for audio description, is a talented voice artist and audio editor; Dr. Joel Snyder (no relation) was a pioneer in the development of audio description, circa 1981. They will present a session on how to involve people who are the principal consumers of audio description.

Tell It Like It Is - Claiming Space in the Arts

Presenter: Helyn Marshall

I'll share the power of naming and claiming spaces for disability access in the nonprofit arts and university settings. How can we, with little-to-no budget, staff shortages, and frequently outdated structures for physical and digital access, flip the script and make it work? (Spoiler alert: it takes time and lingo.)

Margaret

--

Dr. Margaret Price (she/her/hers)

Associate Professor, Department of English

Director, Disability Studies Program

The Ohio State University

421 Denney Hall

Columbus, OH 43214