[Electronicsclub] Intro to Eagle Workshop Update

Fragasse, Gus fragasse.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Sun Sep 13 21:59:24 EDT 2015

Greeting Electronics Club Members,

Thank you all for the terrific turnout at the Intro to Hobbyist Electronics workshop! This week we would like to bring to you a  interactive workshop using EAGLE CS for schematic formation and PCB layout. The Intro to Eagle workshop will be held in CL120 (or possibly DL113 if we get it reserved) this Wednesday 9/16 at 7:00pm, pizza will be provided. You will not be responsible to bring anything to this talk besides yourselves and a laptop.

The overarching reason for having a preliminary Eagle workshop is to make sure everyone is somewhat familiar with this "freeware" before our "PCB layout with the Pro's" workshop during career fair week. We want to be past the basics of Eagle before we have a representative from Texas Instruments (and a recent graduate from OSU) go over slightly more "high level" layout considerations.

What this workshop will go over:

  *   Basics of Schematic layout including

     *   Placement and choice of components
     *   Use of parts libraries within EAGLE
     *   Strategic placement of on board passive components such as bypass capacitors

  *   Board layout basics

     *   Component labeling
     *   Compact placement
     *   Eagle PCB nomenclature and formatting
     *   Trace width and routing geometry considerations

For the last point, even though this isn't a high speed board, it is still advantageous to learn good layout practices for low speed, all the way to high speed layouts where parasitics become a big deal.

You need only download EAGLE prior to the workshop, which can be found here https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/108.
[https://www.sparkfun.com/images/tutorials/BeginningEmbedded/9-EaglePCBs/EP-34.jpg]<https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/108>

Beginning Embedded Electronics - 8 - SparkFun Electronics
Welcome to the wonderful world of PCB creation! We've used a few software packages over the years (namely Protel DXP) and have found Eagle Layout Editor from CadSoft ...
Read more...<https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/108>

If you have any questions prior to this workshop you can email me directly at fragasse.1 at osu.edu<mailto:fragasse.1 at osu.edu>. Hope to see all of you there!!

Go Bucks,

Gus Fragasse