[Electronicsclub] Intro to Hobbyist Electronics (9/9)

Bauer, Eric C. bauer.432 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Sep 7 19:23:29 EDT 2015

Greetings members,

There will be a workshop meeting this Wednesday, September 9th, at 7pm in Caldwell 120. We will have a brief talk given by one of our members about projects. You will learn how to find ideas and source parts to build your next project.  Completed personal projects make great talking points with employers. Actually working with physical electronics also gives you an appreciation for all of the classroom theory. After the talk, you will actually be building a mini-project! We will be showing you how to build a Photoresistor Theremin similar to this<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWzFym2C5YM>. The circuit that you breadboard may be simple, but your microcontroller usage ramps up in difficulty nicely for an introductory level workshop.

What do you need to bring? You and your laptop is all. We will provide all of the other hardware!
What will we be using? This workshop, and many future workshops, will use this  MSP430 LaunchPad<http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launchpads-msp430-msp-exp430g2.html> and Energia, which is a clone of the Arduino development environment. You can download Energia here<http://energia.nu/download/>.

Lastly, the club inventory is available by clicking the link for "Lab Resources"<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1be8mGe-7cA16eylDQijJI7tm_3s7pUdKZSdfJetOt3Q/edit?usp=sharing> on our website. Please not that there are still a few things left to inventory. As we mentioned in the kick off meeting, these tools will be available for renting and components available to keep for projects if you are of Active status. Attending this week's workshop and next week's workshop (Intro to Eagle) will make you Active member very early in the semester. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Thanks,

Eric Bauer
The Ohio State University - 2016
Electronics Club - President