[Electronicsclub] Possible Group Project: LED Scrolling Message Sign with RSS Feed Display

Dan Brandesky electronicsosu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 17:08:45 EST 2012

Hey guys, I have an idea for a pretty awesome group project that could
potentially involve people of various skill levels and specialties in the
club. The idea came from this instructable:
http://www.instructables.com/id/PS2You-Go-anywhere-LED-digital-message-board/.
What I was thinking is that we could construct a sign like this, but
instead of feeding it text from a keyboard, we could instead connect it
over a wired or wireless LAN connection to the internet, and program it
such that it reads the next open lab time from our Google Calendar's RSS
feed:
https://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/electronicsosu%40gmail.com/public/basic.
The sign might also display the club name and website, so it would say
something like "Electronics Club at OSU", "Visit our website", [web
address], "Next open lab is", [next lab date/time via RSS]. The project
would involve (probably) Arduino-type hardware, with software integration,
as well as some software-only work to get the RSS read working, as well as
basic soldering/assembly and even some woodworking since we'd need to put
the panels into a case of some sort!

If you think you might be interested in this project let us know, I think
it would be a great project for us to take on!

--
Dan Brandesky
Electrical Engineering Student, The Ohio State University