[Electronicsclub] Lab Computer, and Projects

Dan Brandesky brandesky.3 at osu.edu
Tue May 24 16:11:08 EDT 2011

Hey everyone, three things:

First, I found a computer for us to use in the lab. Cory has installed
Ubuntu Linux on it, but it needs a few things before it's ready for regular
use. These things are:
-Mouse (PS/2 or USB)
-Power cords (standard IEC cords, two total)
-Wireless internet card (can be PCI card or USB dongle)

I also found a printer we might be able to use, but it needs a power cord as
well, and toner. The toner is only like $25 on amazon.com, but there's no
guarantee the printer works, so that's a bit more of a stretch I suppose.
It's a Laserjet 5MP, so it's super old, but it is probably at least
repairable. I bought a Laserjet 1100 at a thrift store a couple years ago
that still works just fine. The only problem it had was a "paper jam",
caused by a dirty pickup roller. A simple cleaning job should get this one
ready to go, and the toner will likely last a long time.

Second, the school bus stop sign in the lab still needs to have a controller
built for it, and I was hoping someone might want to take it on as a
project. I've already got a nice 12VDC power supply for it, so all it needs
is a circuit board with a 555 timer that creates a 1 Hz or so output, a
transistor inverter for the second output, and probably a FET output stage
for each output. I could help come up with a schematic if someone's
interested in building this. Just email and let me know.

Third, I also found a clock for the lab. It's an analog clock with a cheapo
AC synchronous motor, which doesn't always run. The motor probably just
needs some lubrication, but once again I was hoping someone else might want
to take this project on. I know Nick Weaver said he might be able to do it,
but I just wanted to send this out to everyone to get this rolling. Once
again, let me know if you want to work on this. I already disassembled the
clock mechanism, and can help with the assembly process if needed.

Thanks,
Dan