[Drupal] DC Talk Proposal & Meeting Reminder

Little, Jason little.129 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 12 10:45:29 EDT 2014

One last reminder that the monthly Drupal Meetup will be today @3pm in 230 Bolz Hall. We'll be discussing interesting bits from DrupalCon. There will be donuts.

--

As an aside, I believe Drupal Camp Ohio is scheduled for November.

For the past few years, I've been thinking about working with others to put together a Drupal Camp presentation on analytics based benchmarking for university related websites. I think enough universities attend that it could be of specific interest to many beyond the generally interesting subject of analytics benchmarking.

Would anybody be interested in working together to present or build/share the information to present.

I think there are a lot of different areas a talk like this could cover. Below are just some possibilities.

Answer questions about sites matching different profiles.

  *   college
  *   department
  *   research center
  *   small faculty research group
  *   ?

in raw data

  *   distribution of visits / pageloads over some period

in some kind of normalized contexts like:

  *   visits per student taking classes in subjects
  *   visits per student enrolled in major
  *   visits per research dollar (how to find?)
  *   visits per faculty member
  *   by discipline?
  *   by some estimation of editor effort

We might even go to a content level...

  *   % of page loads that are news
  *   % of page loads that are directory
  *   % of page loads that are events
  *   % of page loads that are courses

Perhaps talk a little about conversion tracking and goal definition.

  *   measurement of giving strategies
  *   measurement of social sharing strategies
  *   other goals people are setting/measuring

We might try to evaluate the effect of different practices on traffic.

  *   merged college/dept sites (more like vetmed, fisher) vs segregated sites (asc, eng)
  *   departmental menu breakdowns by audience (current/prospective), product (degree programs), or hybrids (undergrad, grad).
  *   value of personnel profiles as opposed to just listings.
  *   effectiveness of transitory content vs primary content.
  *   effectiveness of sites backed by a dedicated communications professional vs not.
  *   distributed vs individual ownership?
  *   ?

We could look at the highest performing sites and see what is driving their performance....

--

Anyone interested?

Best,
Jason Little