[Drupal] Workflows

Leonard, Patrick G. leonard.56 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 28 10:17:32 EDT 2014

Robert,
    I think you’re on the right track with this.  I’ve reviewed our own set of roles, permissions, and group roles.  My comments are below.

I think your roles of Author, Editor, and Approver are fine and can be enforced with permissions and Workbench.  The concern about branding:  Couldn’t that be handled at the theme layer?  What would content editors would touch with branding, anyway?

We’re rolling out a new Drupal instance in June, which will have the largest user base of any of the Drupal sites we have done thus far.  We have created three roles in addition to administrator:  Content Admin, Group Admin, and Group Member.  These would be very close to your Approver, Editor, and Author, respectively.  Content Admins can do almost everything in the workflow except delete content.  Content Admins and Group Admins can send content from Draft to Needs Review to Published and back.  Group Members can only promote content from Draft to Needs Review and back again.

Within Organic Groups, we have also established permissions that allow Group Members (similar to your Author role) to share editing rights to pages that have been assigned to that specific group.  Within Groups there are two roles, Content-Owner and Content-Editor.  Content-Owners can create new basic pages (and then assign that page to one of their groups).  Content-Editors can only edit pages in their group.

This workflow requires careful set-up at the outset.  New content must be assigned to one or more groups when it is created if it is to be edited by group members. New users, when added to the system, must be assigned, at a minimum, the role of group-member and then also added to whichever content groups they need to belong to, with whichever group role within that group is appropriate.  This all sounds great on paper, but we’ll find out if it’s feasible once the site is live and changes need to be made to certain pages “right now”.

If you’re interested in the nitty-gritty of permissions, I can share the whole list with you off-llist.  Hope this helps.

— Pat