[Drupal] Trouble installing Drupal in a forced SSL environment with a content-switching load balancer.

Christopher Spiker cspiker at oh-tech.org
Mon Apr 8 07:24:26 EDT 2013

Check out the note at the bottom of this page: http://drupal.org/node/425990. You probably need to set the reverse proxy variable in settings.php.

--
Chris Spiker, Web Developer
OH-TECH
1224 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH 43212

On Apr 8, 2013, at 2:04 AM, "Gaddie, Herbert (Luke)" <gaddie.3 at osu.edu<mailto:gaddie.3 at osu.edu>> wrote:

I've already submitted a bug report<http://drupal.org/node/481758#comment-7209478> on some of the issues I'm having with this, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has some input on the issue I'm having.

Our server is set up behind a Citrix NetScaler load balancer that enforces SSL through Content switching so that:

  *   Any requests made to http://example.com are automatically redirected to https://example.com.
  *   Any requests made to https://example.com are forwarded through to the web server via HTTP, then the NetScaler forwards the response back to the requester via HTTPS (SSL Offloading).

In the end, the path that all HTTP traffic takes is as such: User -(443)> NetScaler -(80)> Web Server -(80)> NetScaler -(443)> User

Now, the problem that I'm facing is in installing Drupal. During installation, I'm getting these two errors:

  *   In error.log: PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function field_attach_load() in /var/www/it/includes/entity.inc on line 321, referer: https://it.osu.edu/install.php?profile=standard&locale=en
  *   In the browser: An AJAX HTTP request terminated abnormally. Debugging information follows. Path: http://it.osu.edu/install.php?profile=standard&locale=en&id=1&op=do StatusText: ResponseText: ReadyState: 4

This error is thrown almost immediately (.5-1 second) after entering the database details and continuing to the next (progress bar) screen.

The issue seems to be spawning from the fact that Drupal is attempting to perform a HTTP AJAX request, as opposed to a HTTPS request. Due to our network setup, all web traffic to the end user is done via HTTPS and all traffic between the NetScaler is done via HTTP.

There's a ton more information, including what I've tried and specific environment information, in the bug report. I would love to hear any input that anyone has on this!

Thanks,

-Luke