[Drupal] pro

Jason Little Jason_Little at engadmin.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 18 08:59:58 EDT 2010

I like the new site too.  Great job Mitchell.

Our approach for shib/ssl is nothing special.  We use site alternate name certificates from Geotrust.  We had to set up our own account with them to do this.  They gave us the "education" rate of $500 for 5 domains + $29 / domain up to 25 total.  So if you've got a lot of sites, you're looking at around $43 per domain.  Although others offer much cheaper SANs, that's at least competitive with low end single site ssl certificates, and I think the renewal rate may be lower.  You can change your certs around or add new ones at any time.  You just need to regen the certificate.  Because it's a single cert, it only requires one ip address.  SANS are licensed per server.

With a lot of osu.edu sites in our org, it's tempting to just get a wildcard, but that would probably be excessive and a security liability.  The SAN approach also has the benefit of being able to handle non-osu.edu domains.

We use geotrust because they were the official supplier recommended by OIT and we once had trouble with another vendor.  Compared to others, they are extremely expensive and have a propensity for messing up our orders.  That said, I've found that our service rep, Dennis Hopp (dhopp at verisign.com<mailto:dhopp at verisign.com>), has been pleasant to deal with and helpful in sorting out the messes.

I think you can use shibboleth without SSL, but I'm not sure if Scott supports such configurations.  Personally, I like the idea of having SSL on anything that requires authentication.  In the end, a cost of around $43 per domain is trivial compared to the overall expenditure that goes into producing and maintaining a site.

We use the secure pages module to force SSL for some sections (admin, ecommerce) but not others (normal content).  This minimizes load caused by ssl and eliminates those pesky IE warnings when loading insecure content (ie from youtube).

Best,
Jason Little
College of Engineering