[Comicsstudiessociety] The Wonder of Sound and Vision: Film, TV & Other Media Adaptations of Comics 2022 edition FREE EBOOK

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 21:34:48 EST 2023

The Wonder of Sound and Vision: Film, TV & Other Media Adaptations of
Comics (2022 edition)
Michael Rhode
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://independent.academia.edu/MichaelRhode?swp=tc-au-95495019__;!!KGKeukY!yaDw12NqYgCHtaFZ7ABWqL8aV2I_FyFMdL7_FFgldHjA-eeISjwQ3LmUbO9pWscNo-AoWN5lt-8zEf7jlSS-PmFOK-w$ >
Arlington, VA: ComicsDC 2023
online at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/details/film-tv-other-media-adaptations-of-comics-2022__;!!KGKeukY!yaDw12NqYgCHtaFZ7ABWqL8aV2I_FyFMdL7_FFgldHjA-eeISjwQ3LmUbO9pWscNo-AoWN5lt-8zEf7jlSS-hITDBjo$
or
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.academia.edu/95495019/The_Wonder_of_Sound_and_Vision_Film_TV_and_Other_Media_Adaptations_of_Comics_2022_edition__;!!KGKeukY!yaDw12NqYgCHtaFZ7ABWqL8aV2I_FyFMdL7_FFgldHjA-eeISjwQ3LmUbO9pWscNo-AoWN5lt-8zEf7jlSS-0hA4yvo$

INTRODUCTION

 In 1977, in a completely different context, David Bowie sang, “Don't you
wonder sometimes; About sound and vision?” In the comics world, the
question had long been answered with a firm “Yes.” Since the earliest days
of the comic strip, theatrical adaptions were common, and were soon
followed by film shorts. After all, as we’ve seen with the current plethora
of big budget comic book movies, the material to adapt – to reuse,
repurpose, revisit, revise, and sometimes retread (I’m looking at you,
Blondie) was just sitting there, already paid for. The list includes any
type of comic strip, panel or book that originated on paper, but not
original animation, even if it later resulted in a printed series. series.
It usually does not include videogames, although the level of animation in
them has become quite high and it seems as though a convergence between
videogames and movies may not be too far in the future. This list and its
format originated with Manfred Vogel of Germany. After his August 1997
version, he turned it over to me to continue and shortly after that Manfred
died. I would like this list to be a continuing memorial to him. The last
version of this was published in 2007, as the boom in superhero movies was
just about to take off. I have not seen all of these movies, so I recommend
checking against other sources if possible. This is an ongoing project and
any corrections or additional information is welcome. Previous versions
were released for the indexing group APA-I as Comics Stuff #9 and on my
ComicsDC blog. 1,764 additions since the last edition are marked with *.