[Comicsstudiessociety] La Petit Vingtieme issues online?

Patrick D. Holt Patrick.D.Holt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 09:13:42 EDT 2023

Hi Comics Studies Society,

Is anyone aware of an online archive of La Petit Vingtieme, or a way to
view issue #60? I don't know French, so my googling isn't as effective as
usual.

What I'm looking for, in case there's another solution (or in case someone
else has already figured this out), is to see how the weekly strips that
were collected into *Tintin in the Land of the Soviets* appeared in their
original published format. There's a note in the 1989 Casterman / Last Gasp
edition and on Tintin.com
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tintin.com/en/albums/tintin-in-the-land-of-the-soviets*__;Iw!!KGKeukY!1Jw6L4LUAA-F6E5CzdXj_S8-lTdzt6oNQWRNfv0S0rWspETZhmJH-KlBGs-NMdblLWiZXq0D_wzjgmO8nSlUFseQGn3TvEiVwr13bA$ > about
a page of the story that appeared in La Petit Vingtieme #60 but was
"omitted for no apparent reason" from earlier editions, but which is
restored in the Casterman / Last Gasp.

My suspicion is that the episode in issue #60 contained an uncharacteristic
*three* pages, which, when collected, would have upset the flow of the
two-page spreads from all succeeding episodes, and that the the page in
question was omitted to preserve that flow. My understanding is that the
last panel in the the right-hand page of each spread was a cliffhanger for
weekly readers, and that the collected editions try to preserve that
experience somewhat by having the weekly "what happens next??" feeling
correspond to the turn of a page. After the restored page in the 1989
edition, that cliffhanger happens in the middle of a spread, which is
definitely odd at some points, though not terribly disruptive given that
Herge was pretty new to constructing narrative at this point. (More
circumstantial evidence: before the restored page Herge signs the a panel
in the right-hand page of a spread [or nowhere], and after the restored
page the signatures appear on the left-hand page.)

So that's my tiny quest. If this is already common knowledge, I'd be happy
to know it! (And also for someone with connections to inform the folks at
Casterman and Tintin.com!)

Thanks everyone,
Patrick Holt / comics studies dilettante

*Patrick Holt*designer - artist - librarian
Online Portfolio <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://patrickholtportfolio.com/__;!!KGKeukY!1Jw6L4LUAA-F6E5CzdXj_S8-lTdzt6oNQWRNfv0S0rWspETZhmJH-KlBGs-NMdblLWiZXq0D_wzjgmO8nSlUFseQGn3TvEgtiZ_KBg$ > | LinkedIn
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/in/patrick-holt-149a4b242/__;!!KGKeukY!1Jw6L4LUAA-F6E5CzdXj_S8-lTdzt6oNQWRNfv0S0rWspETZhmJH-KlBGs-NMdblLWiZXq0D_wzjgmO8nSlUFseQGn3TvEglyormUw$ > | Online Store
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://patrick-holt-art-design.square.site/__;!!KGKeukY!1Jw6L4LUAA-F6E5CzdXj_S8-lTdzt6oNQWRNfv0S0rWspETZhmJH-KlBGs-NMdblLWiZXq0D_wzjgmO8nSlUFseQGn3TvEhBhFgGPw$ >