[Comicsstudiessociety] New Exhibit : "Cloaked Crusader: George Washington in Comics and Pop Culture." Inbox

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:40:28 EDT 2022

 IJOCA reviewer desired - Mike
mrhode at gmail.com

*For Immediate Release August 22, 2022*

*“Cloaked Crusader: George Washington in Comics and Pop Culture” **TM **—
Exhibit opens at Fraunces Tavern Museum Oct 5th*

*Two Originals: George Washington and the American Comic Book Come together
just in time for New York Comic Con!*
<image.png>

New York, NY-- If you think that our modern day super heroes have nothing
in common with our First President, you‘d have another think coming! In
fact they have been co-stars in our various universes for some time!

We are looking forward to showing *when *and *how *in a new and
exciting  collection opening Oct 5th at The Fraunces Tavern Museum,
entitled  “Cloaked Crusader: George Washington in Comics and Pop Culture,”
featuring original art and rare comics by Michael Golden, Arthur Suydam,
Neal Adams, George Perez, George Evans, Fred Fredericks, Curt Swan, Daniel
Scott Jr, Graham Nolan and many more.

Only the fertile proving ground of the American Revolution and spirit of a
new born country could have created an iconic historical figure such as
Washington. It was a perfect storm of grit and goals. The freedom obtained
to create something new.

Perhaps it’s that same freedom of expression that fostered the uniquely
American art form of sequential art (comics books), that we know today, and
which has virtually spread across the globe.

There was a time when every household in the country contained at least one
portrait of our first President. But over the last 100 years, those
*portraits *also started appearing in all sorts of comic books and media,
often bringing Washington to life in a way never done before, and
continuing to this day in books, TV shows such as *Turn *and musicals such
as *Hamilton*. There is a reason!

As Washington’s persona has traveled through history, it has lent itself as
a metaphor for strength, loyalty, perseverance, and courage in the numerous
tomes that we will explore.

What better shorthand to make a point than by using one of the most
recognized visages in the world!

The exhibition not only includes traditional sequential representations of
historical events, but also stories where Washington is a key character in
modern times and comic book universes, including with Superman, Captain
America, and other comic book icons.

Opening night will take place on Oct 5th with a reception from 6:00 pm to
8:00 pm featuring a silent auction, live sketching, remarks from our
speaker *Marvel Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter, *and appearances by featured
artists *Michael Golden— Co-creator of X-Men’s Rogue, *and *Arthur Suydam—
Artist for Marvel Zombies and Deadpool*.

A VIP Dinner will follow from 8:00 pm to 10:00 PM, and will include
original art and signing opportunities with our guest talent, taking place
in this historic building— Fraunces Tavern— where Washington himself— *the
flesh and blood one*— dined most notably with his officers to say farewell
a\er the Revolutionary war.

Now we welcome the comic book version back home.

All proceeds benefit the historic Fraunces Tavern Museum. The Gallery show
itself is based on a book  also entitled “Cloaked Crusader: George
Washington in Comics and Pop Culture,” by author Renee Witterstaetter.  The
Gallery show will be up at the museum throughout 2022 and 2023.

So come join us as we introduce you to our first super hero and pop culture
icon— *George Washington*.

*For more information on how to order Tickets go to: *
*www.frauncestavernmuseum.org* <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.frauncestavernmuseum.org/__;!!KGKeukY!zpogKGen71FPVNVM_4Xc1pK72ZzUdl1pevKc25D2kkDouH7LER4l2Cey-TFg9JnJrsFDBTHGrnokT0D07uEQVpVVzJ4$  >

*Fraunces Tavern Museum is located at 54 Pearl St; 2nd Floor; New York, NY
10004
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/maps/search/54*Pearl*St;*2nd*Floor;*New*York,*NY*10004?entry=gmail&source=g__;KysrKysrKys!!KGKeukY!zpogKGen71FPVNVM_4Xc1pK72ZzUdl1pevKc25D2kkDouH7LER4l2Cey-TFg9JnJrsFDBTHGrnokT0D07uEQ9UuDLdM$  >*