[Comicsstudiessociety] Nine-panel grid

Gilmore, Shawn Patrick sgilmore at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:25:51 EST 2022

Aidan

It’s a great question. There are certainly 3x3 pages before Watchmen, but I’ve not seen anyone point to the sustained use of such a regular grid throughout a full comic or series.

In earlier comics, there are certainly grids, like the attached example from Tales of Suspense #85 (1967), which is 3x3; but the page before is a 2x2 grid and the page after is 2x3. Maybe others have some other examples that are used more systemically?

As a side note, Watchmen’s contemporary The Dark Knight Returns uses a 4x4 grid, though much more loosely.

All best
Shawn