[Comicsstudiessociety] IJOCA reviewer desired - DEENA MOHAMED's Shubeik Lubeik

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:09:57 EST 2022

Worldwide, as we've been given an e-galley. Send me an email w/ your
qualifications.

Mike Rhode

mrhode at gmail.com

*DEENA **MOHAMED* is an Egyptian illustrator and writer. She first began
making comics at eighteen, when she created the viral webcomic Qahera, a
satirical superhero strip starring a visibly Muslim superheroine.
Originally published in Arabic by Dar el Mahrousa in Egypt, *Shubeik*
* Lubeik* was awarded Best Graphic Novel and the Grand Prize at the 2017
Cairo Comix Festival. She lives and works in Cairo.

*SHUBEIK** LUBEIK *(January 10, 2023)

*A brilliantly original debut graphic novel that imagines an alternate
Cairo where wishes really do come true. Deena Mohamed brings to life a cast
of characters whose struggles and triumphs are heartbreaking, inspiring,
and deeply resonant.*

*Shubeik** Lubeik (*“your wish is my command” in Arabic) is the story of
three people who are navigating a world where wishes are literally for
sale. Mired in bureaucracy and the familiar prejudices of our world, the
wishes are more likely to work as intended the more expensive they are.

Three wishes that are sold at a little sidewalk kiosk in Cairo link Aziza,
Nour, and Shokry, changing their perspectives as well as their lives. Aziza
learned early that life can be hard, but when she loses her husband and
manages to procure a wish, she finds herself fighting bureau­cracy and
inequality for the right to have—and make—that wish. Nour is a privileged
college student who secretly struggles with depression and must decide
whether or not to use their wish to try to “fix” this depression, and then
figure out how to do it. And, finally, Shokry must grapple with his
religious convictions as he decides how to help a friend who doesn’t want
to use their wish.

Although their stories are fantastical, each of these people grapples with
the very real challenge of trying to make their most deeply held desires
come true.