[Comicsstudiessociety] Fwd: Call for proposals: "Celebrating Speculative Communities"

Gene Kannenberg, Jr. gene.kannenberg at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:41:01 EDT 2022

A CFP of potential interest...

--Gene--

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Baltazar, Jason Rae via IAFA-L <iafa-l at lists.iafa.org>
Date: Thu, May 5, 2022 at 9:26 AM
Subject: [IAFA-L] Call for proposals: "Celebrating Speculative Communities"
To: iafa-l at lists.iafa.org <iafa-l at lists.iafa.org>
Cc: Baltazar, Jason Rae <jasonbaltazar at ku.edu>

Hello,

On behalf of the Gunn Center for the Study of Science Fiction, I am pleased
to share the attached call for programming proposals for our first
annual *Sturgeon
Symposium*, to be held this fall (Thurs 9/29 - Fri 9/30).

*The program committee invites abstracts and proposals in English (250
words or less) on any topic related to the Gunn Center's new mission of
showcasing international speculative literatures, including creative work
from Indian Nations, such as the Kaw, Osage, and others on whose homelands
KU stands. We especially welcome thematic panels and papers that touch upon
how community informs the speculative arts and vice versa.*

Full details about the Symposium, programming, and proposal requirements
can be found below the signature and in the attached PDF. Any further
questions can be sent to sfcenter at ku.edu

Best wishes,

Jason Baltazar
Department of English

University of Kansas

---

*CFP: Celebrating Speculative Communities *

The Gunn Center for the Study of Science Fiction is thrilled to announce
our 1st Annual Sturgeon Symposium (Thurs. 9/29 – Fri. 9/30/2022), which
will feature the presentation of the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for
best science fiction short story and a reading from this year’s winner.
This hybrid in-person/online symposium will also feature panels,
presentations, roundtable discussions, and creative writing workshops that
highlight the diversity of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and the Speculative
Arts. The program committee invites abstracts and proposals in English (250
words or less) on any topic related to the Gunn Center's new mission of
showcasing international speculative literatures, including creative work
from Indian Nations, such as the Kaw, Osage, and others on whose homelands
KU stands. We especially welcome thematic panels and papers that touch upon
how community informs the speculative arts and vice versa.

At CSSF, we celebrate the interconnected global communities of students,
scholars, creators, and fans whose engagement with speculative modes
enriches our understanding of the world we share and challenges our notions of
what is possible. We hope to illuminate the array of SF-related work being
done across disciplines, genres, media, and identities. For example, in her
groundbreaking essay “Poetry Is Not a Luxury,” Audre Lorde identifies
poetry as “not only dream and vision,” but as something that “lays the
foundations for a future of change, a bridge across our fears of what has
never been before” (Lorde, 38). In this way, poetry takes on a clearly
speculative, generative aspect. Where/how else might we find other points
of connection that broaden our conceptions of the field?

Possible paper, panel, and roundtable topics might include, but are not
limited to:

   - SF tied to particular regions or identities *(e.g., Afrofuturism, the
   Southern Gothic, Ukrainian);*
   - SF audiences and fandoms;
   - Influences of colonialism and marginalization;
   - Issues of translation;
   - SF across media, including film, TV, visual arts, music, games, etc.

We welcome proposals for panels, research presentations, creative
presentations, roundtables, public workshops, and posters. Panels should
consist of 3-4 fifteen-minute papers and may include a commentator.
Roundtables and workshops can be more loosely structured, although the
proposal should include a designated chair and a list of participants. In
keeping with our theme, the organizers would like the conference to feature
programming that can engage in greater collaboration and dialogue across
various communities. Proposals from undergraduate and graduate students are
encouraged.

*The deadline for proposals is June 30th. *

In addition to programming developed from your submissions, the Symposium
will include the following:

   - Noël Sturgeon’s presentation of the annual Theodore Sturgeon Memorial
   Award for the year’s best science fiction short story
   - a creative writing reading from the winner of this year’s Sturgeon
   prize
   - Roundtable discussion: “The State of SF”
   - Panel: Indigenous Futurisms
   - Literary Salon: creative writing readings
   - Pedagogy panel: “How is SF being taught on campus?”
   - Research spotlight: “What are you currently working on in the realm of
   SF?”
   - Roundtable discussion: Fan Fiction and Fanwork as Speculative Art
   - Panel: Emerging Technologies

Please email proposals to the Gunn Center: sfcenter at ku.edu by June 30,
2022. Notifications will be sent out in late July.

For more detailed information about the symposium, including travel
information and lodging options, please visit the CSSF website:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sfcenter.ku.edu/sturgeon-symposium__;!!KGKeukY!2BDw-V8x_7TzKCT0wk_EHoCwQN3XLtkKKPgnjvRrpgB5kvvwEgk-DqPS-jv9HnDOrr9pqp8liHyfuFgFFWi7WN2N_H21qOdtSVZXAQQ$

Questions? Contact sfcenter at ku.edu  <sfcenter at ku.edu>.