[Comicsstudiessociety] 10 things you didn't know about the BOBC

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Sat Mar 5 18:22:22 EST 2022

(Apologies for crossposting!)

Dear all,

many comics scholars doesn't seem to know much about my pet project (free, non-commercial, completely volunteer), the Bonn Online Bibliography for Comics Research (BOBC <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bobc.uni-bonn.de/__;!!KGKeukY!gmBWxf6pq7cQSLmNGfh-zEqQWfzmS23zBihI_p58gwhoO8cgEXaniV0rzLPNp_xMzXhwvcaLjxfh$ >). Today I want to point out some of the more hidden features, which makes the BOBC a useful tool for our research area.

Did you know
that the BOBC just now holds nearly 14,000 database records, but contains lots of more titles through the ToCs many of the book entries have? It's planned to record all articles in collections as single entries (many of them already are), but because of lack of time and supporters this will go slow …
that each recorded title gets one or more linked keywords, which are consistent throughout the database and can be searched either by clicking the link or through the Advanced Search menu? One can combine several keywords either by entering in the Quicksearch field and linking them with AND, OR or NOT, or by using the Advanced Search, which gives a lot more possibilities (combinations with other search criteria like Language, Creator, Publication Year(s) etc.).
that you can switch the bibliography style to MLA, APA, Chicago, Harvard, or Turabian (menu WIKINDX > Preferences)? When doing this as a registered user (menu WIKINDX > My Wikindx > Appearance), the style will persist, independent of other users choices.
that there is a statistics feature, which gives a lot of additional informations (menu WIKINDX)? Most interesting seems the keywords statistics, which shows that more than 15% of all records concern research on superheroes – so the often heard complaints, that superheroes are an under-researched area simply are ignorant. There is much more research on Batman (just now 385 records) as on Art Spiegelman (288, incl. Maus and all his other works)!
that you can collect records in a basket (single items or whole search result lists) and export this basket as RTF-text, EndNote list, or (best for Zotero and other reference managment software) COinS list? (menu Resources > Basket)
that registered users can add their own, private tags and annotations to single records (Musings, Paraphrases and Quotes can all hold their own keywords, too)?
that registered users can put together their own, private bibliographies? Add a new User bibliography in the menu WIKINDX > My Wikindx and add titles from searches.
that registered users can build a group with other registered users and share their user bibliographies and annotations? Set up a User group in the menu WIKINDX > My Wikindx, pick other group members from the users list and share your user bibliography and/or individual tags, musings, paraphrases, and quotations with them.
that registered users can add their own bibliography records to the database? A new record will be put in quarantine, until an Admin looks at it, eventually adds missing details or corrects mistakes, and finally approves it.
that registering does only require a user name (real name or avatar) and a mail address (for notifications, which can be controlled in My Wikindx)? Before you ask: I won't sell your mail address, promise!

Joachim

--
Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz
Institut für Germanistik, Vergleichende Literatur- und Kulturwissenschaft der Universität Bonn