[Comicsstudiessociety] Stan Lee book

Jeff McLaughlin jmclaughlin at tru.ca
Sun Jun 26 12:08:45 EDT 2022

HI! COVID and other things really got in the way with my schedule (and I bet yours too!) so I’m sending this out again…

In honour of Stan Lee’s 100th birthday this year, I am editing a book called “The Philosophies of Stan Lee” for the University Press of Mississippi. While I have already started the process of editing the contributions, I’m looking for a few more philosophical pieces (especially from new scholars). Here’s some topics I’d like to see covered but I’m open to others!

The ethical struggles and  sacrifices of being a superhero
The struggles and sacrifices of being Spider-Man (and anything else related to this character)
The meaning behind “excelsior!” (and other sign offs!)
Examples of “With great power, comes great responsibility”

Throughout the book I will be including brief reflections by well known comic book artists and writers who will share their “Lessons from Lee”

This is a time sensitive project so please contact me as soon as possible with expressions of interest.  Please email me at BOTH jmclaughlin at tru.ca<mailto:jmclaughlin at tru.ca> and kane_ca at yahoo.com<mailto:kane_ca at yahoo.com> to ensure I see it promptly.

Best Wishes, Jeff

Dr. Jeff McLaughlin Ph.D.
Professor of Philosophy

Department of Philosophy, History, and Politics
Thompson Rivers University
805 University Drive
Kamloops BC Canada
V2C 0C8

Thompson Rivers University campuses are on the traditional lands of the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc (Kamloops campus) and the T’exelc (Williams Lake campus) within Secwépemc'ulucw, the traditional and unceded territory of the Secwépemc. The region TRU serves also extends into the territories of the St’át’imc, Nlaka’pamux, Tŝilhqot'in, Nuxalk, and Dakelh.