[Comicsstudiessociety] Query: Bechdel (Fun Home) scholarship for opening a grad seminar

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:55:36 EDT 2022

This fall I'm teaching an Introduction to Graduate Studies in English, and
for the first two to three weeks we'll be focusing on Bechdel's *Fun Home* as
an example of a 21st-century literary text that has inspired a lot of
scholarship. After concentrating on *Fun Home* itself for a week, we'll
move into academic journal articles and/or book chapters about *Fun Home*,
with a couple chosen by me and one or two chosen (and abstracted/presented)
by students individually. The idea is not to turn this course into a comics
studies seminar (heh), but to model a variety of approaches to one text
under the umbrella of contemporary academic literary criticism.

I've previously used Chute's "Animating an Archive" (her chapter on Bechdel
from *Graphic Women*) in grad courses, and may use it again here (it's
amazing), but would like to supplement it with other pieces to convey a
greater disciplinary and methodological range. Besides pieces contained in
Utell's edited collection *The Comics of Alison Bechdel: From the Outside
In* (2019), are there other academic "Bechdel studies" texts you would
recommend as part of the opening of a grad studies gateway course? If so,
what methodologies or theories do those texts represent, do you think?

CH