[Comicsstudiessociety] [EXTERNAL] Book for review for IJOCA - Maus Now : Selected Writing, edited by Hillary Chute

Lauren E Chivington lchivington at ivytech.edu
Wed Jul 20 09:20:13 EDT 2022

Can't wait to read this one!
________________________________
From: ComicsStudiesSociety <comicsstudiessociety-bounces+lchivington=ivytech.edu at lists.osu.edu> on behalf of Mike Rhode via ComicsStudiesSociety <comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 9:16:47 AM
To: Comix-Scholars <comixscholars-l at lists.ufl.edu>; discussion list for members of the Comics Studies Society <comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu>; John A. Lent <jlent at temple.edu>; mgrhode1 <mrhode at gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL][Comicsstudiessociety] Book for review for IJOCA - Maus Now : Selected Writing, edited by Hillary Chute

USA ONLY due to postage. We have an uncorrected proof. I'm anticipating a lot of interest in this one, so we're not doing our first-request gets it. Instead send a message to me and John OFFLIST saying why you think you'd be a good

USA ONLY due to postage.  We have an uncorrected proof. I'm anticipating a lot of interest in this one, so we're not doing our first-request gets it. Instead send a message to me and John OFFLIST saying why you think you'd be a good reviewer for this, and we'll choose a reviewer

Mike

mrhode at gmail.com<mailto:mrhode at gmail.com>

John A. Lent

jlent at temple.edu<mailto:jlent at temple.edu>

Maus Now : Selected Writing, edited by Hillary Chute (onsale 11/15/22)

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Art Spiegelman is one of our most influential contemporary artists; it is hard to overstate his effect on postwar American culture. Maus has shaped the fields of literature, history, and art, and enlivened our collective sense of possibilities for expression.

Maus Now: Selected Writing collects responses to the work that confirm its unique and terrain-shifting status. Here, writers such as Philip Pullman, Robert Storr, Ruth Franklin, and others approach Maus from a wide range of viewpoints and traditions, inspired by the material’s complexity. The book is organized into three loosely chronological sections: “Contexts,” “Problems of Representation,” and “Legacy,” and offers translations of important French, Hebrew, and German essays on Maus for the first time.

    Maus is revelatory, and generative, in profound and long-lasting ways. With this collection, American literary scholar (and expert on comics and graphic narratives) Hillary Chute assembles the best work around the globe exploring this classic graphic biography.

·        SALES: After the recent banning of Maus in TN, interest in and sales for Art Spiegelman's work have skyrocketed.

·        BEST OF: Maus Now gathers together the best writing on Maus and provides translations of essays from German, French and Hebrew for the very first time.

·        LITTLE-SEEN IMAGERY: In addition to polished images from Maus, this collection will feature original sketches and early comics and images from RAW.

HILLARY CHUTE is an American literary scholar and an expert on comics and graphic narratives. She is Distinguished Professor of English and Art + Design at Northeastern University and the author or editor of seven titles on comics, including, most recently, her book, Why Comics? From Underground to Everywhere. She is a comics and graphic novels columnist for The New York Times Book Review.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The content of this email is confidential and intended only for the recipient(s) specified. If you received this message by mistake, please reply immediately so the sender can correct the error, and then immediately delete this email. Forwarding this email to any third party without the written consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.