[Comicsstudiessociety] Join CBLDF for Editorial Cartooning: A Workshop for Students

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:32:21 EST 2022

 Join CBLDF for Editorial Cartooning: A Workshop for Students
by Betsy Gomez <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://cbldf.org/author/bgomez/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvnxyG-OG$ > • February 16, 2022
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://cbldf.org/2022/02/editorial-cartooning-workshop/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvmcyMMEP$

Unmute yourself with cartoons! Join Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and
award-winning editorial cartoonists *Ruben Bolling, Clay Jones,* and *Shannon
Wheeler* for “Editorial Cartooning: A Workshop for Students” on February
23, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. PST. The artists will describe their process for
making editorial cartoons, provide tips for effective editorial cartoons,
and discuss working with editors and pitching ideas. We’ll also talk about
censorship, including self-censorship, and give students a chance to ask
their own questions.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_nDJEHahVRhS4OimUonPlCw__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvpbp3QRj$ >

CBLDF is offering “Editorial Cartooning: A Workshop for Students” in
conjunction with *Student Press Freedom Day*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://studentpressfreedom.org/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvpe5V2z6$ > on February 24, 2022. Sponsored by the
Student Press Law Center, Student Press Freedom Day is a national day of
action during which we celebrate the contributions of student journalists
and the need to support their independence without censorship or threat to
their advisers. The theme for Student Press Freedom Day 2022 is “Unmute
Yourself!” It calls attention to student journalists’ right to publish
truthfully without inhibition and to tell the stories most important to
their communities, free from censorship – and from self-censorship. Learn
more here <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://studentpressfreedom.org/about/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJviueMhBt$ >.

Register for “Editorial Cartooning: A Workshop for Students” on February
23, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. PST:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_nDJEHahVRhS4OimUonPlCw__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvpbp3QRj$

*About Ruben Bolling*
*© Ruben Bolling*

Ruben Bolling is the author of the weekly comic strip “Tom the Dancing
Bug,” distributed by Andrews McMeel Syndication to newspapers across North
America. The comic strip has appeared in *The New York Times, The
Washington Post, The Village Voice, The Los Angeles Times,* and hundreds of
other newspapers.

“Tom the Dancing Bug” is featured every week on BoingBoing.net, one of the
most linked-to websites in the world; DailyKos.com, the premier online
political community website; and GoComics.com, the largest comics website.

“Tom the Dancing Bug” has won awards (for example, the 2017 Herblock Prize,
the 2018 RFK Journalism Award, and the 2021 Berryman Award), and has lost
awards (it was a Finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in 2019 and 2021).

In 2020, Clover Press launched The Complete Tom the Dancing Bug series of
books, starting with Volume 7 *Into the Trumpverse: The Complete Tom the
Dancing Bug, 2016-2019*. In 2021, Volume 6 was released, *Tom the Dancing
Bug Awakens: The Complete Tom the Dancing Bug*, *2012-2015*. Volume 5, *Eat
the Poor, The Complete Tom the Dancing Bug, 2007-2011*, will be released in
2022.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://linktr.ee/tomthedancingbug__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvh4IJ9-3$

*About Clay Jones*
*© Clay Jones*

Clay Jones was often sent to the principal’s office as a child for making
fun of his classmates and teachers with his drawings. He discovered at a
young age he had a knack for making fun of people and he decided later to
make it a career and focus on those more deserving of his sarcastic rage:
politicians (mostly Republicans). He went from drawing simple Crayola
caricatures of his friends in elementary school to full-sized comic books
by the time he was in high school to being in the pages of *Newsweek* in
his 20s.

Jones’ cartoons have entertained readers in *The Washington Post,* *The Los
Angeles Times, The New York Times, The Chicago Sun-Times, The St. Louis
Post-Dispatch, USA Today* and *Newsweek* magazine.

He has also created commissioned cartoons and covers for *Orlando Weekly*,
the* City Pulse* (Lansing, Michigan), *The Seattle Times*, *The Daily
Dot*, *The
Independent* (St. George, Utah), the *Longview News Journal* in Texas, *The
Herald Dispatch* in Huntington (West Virginia), the *News-Enterprise* in
Elizabethtown (Kentucky), the *Dorchester Reporter* (Massachusetts), and
the *Emmitsburg News-Journal* (Maryland). He’s also done special projects
for the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy and the New Labor
Forum. His work has also been seen on the *Rachel Maddow Show* and *Velshi
and Ruhle* on MSNBC.

Jones is currently drawing one cartoon each week for the CNN Opinion
Newsletter.

Jones was a finalist for the Herblock Prize in 2019 and a finalist for the
National Headliner Award in 2020. Sometimes, he wins, too. He has been the
recipient of numerous awards in Hawaii and Virginia and three consecutive
first-place awards from the Mississippi Press Association. In 2018, a
cartoon drawn for The Highlands Current
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://highlandscurrent.com/2018/06/15/the-current-wins-six-national-awards/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvrMfhbgx$ >
in
New York  placed in the New York Press Association’s Better Newspaper
Contest, and won Best Cartoon in the National Newspaper Association’s
Better Newspaper Contest.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://claytoonz.com/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvuA7cRDq$

*About Shannon Wheeler*
*© Shannon Wheeler*

Shannon Wheeler is an award-winning cartoonist best known as the creator of
the satirical superhero Too Much Coffee Man
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Much_Coffee_Man__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvp2qCajV$ >, who has appeared around
the world in comic books, newspapers, magazines, books, and even his very
own opera. He has also created the strip “Postage Stamp Funnies” for *The
Onion* and illustrated several books, including* I Thought You Would Be
Funnier*, *Grandpa Won’t Wake Up*, and *Oil & Water*. Wheeler frequently
contributes cartoons to *The New Yorker*. With writer Mark Russell, he
co-created the acclaimed book *God Is Disappointed in You* (a
tongue-in-cheek retelling of the Bible) and its sequel *Apocrypha Now*.

Wheeler is the recipient of the 1995 Eisner Award for Best New Series (*Too
Much Coffee Man*), the 2011 Eisner Award for Best Humor Publication (*I
Thought You Would Be Funnier*), and the 2018 Eisner Award for Best Digital
Comic (*Harvey Kurtzman’s Marley’s Ghost*, by Harvey Kurtzman, Josh
O’Neill, Shannon Wheeler, and Gideo Kendall).

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.shannonleowheeler.com/__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvvcSfTYS$

*About Comic Book Legal Defense Fund*

Comic Book Legal Defense Fund is a non-profit organization protecting the
freedom to read comics! Our work protects readers, creators, librarians,
retailers, publishers, and educators who face the threat of censorship. We
monitor legislation and challenge laws that would limit the First
Amendment. We create resources that promote understanding of comics and the
rights our community is guaranteed. We publish news and information about
censorship events as they happen. We are partners in the Kids’ Right to
Read Project and Banned Books Week. Our expert legal team is available to
respond to First Amendment emergencies at a moment’s notice. CBLDF is a
lean organization that works hard to protect the rights on which our
community depends. For more information, visit https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cbldf.org__;!!KGKeukY!mi6JetEUvxUteTdUefBcTIYVkk5c76tjmhikCgDJ548wTuOvc5tVPxihQEPy-zWuqYDJvtipIPFy$