[Comicsstudiessociety] Old comic art indexing projects being put on line, and perhaps updated

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:33:33 EST 2022

Back in the mists of time, when the Internet was young and dinosaurs roamed
the Earth (in Alley Oop at least), there were cooperative projects about
trying to track the work of cartoonists. This was before the Internet,
email, Google, YouTube, Wikipedia, and many other sources we take for
granted now. When I got internet access in the 1980s, I ended up working
with people from two main places - APA-I (amateur press association for
indexing) and the Comix@ alternative comics email list.

APA-I started in the 1977 in an attempt to index comic book creators (for
the most part), adding to the basic information that the Overstreet Price
Guide might have. You can see some bibliographic entries here -
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://comics.lib.msu.edu/rri/arri/ap.htm__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INRwcWN-jo$   It imploded in 2005, but spun
off the Grand Comics Database (https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://comics.org__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INRxkSFaT6$  ) before it did, and made
itself mostly superflous. However, some of the indeces were not of comic
book by cartoonists, but of other media. I usually worked on that type, and
people from the Comix@ list, a highly dedicated group of comics fans, were
often willing to send in information on a project. Some of which I had
forgotten, but MSU lists them at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://comics.lib.msu.edu/rri/rrri/rh.htm__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR83WW1qB$
The Comics Research Bibliography is the main one that I have maintained,
and post daily about to Facebook and my ComicsDC blog (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://comicsdc.blogspot.com__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR-_gkXc7$  )

So I'm going to put the latest version of most of these that I have up on
the Internet Archive which should include Music (LP, CD, tape covers),
comic book/strip artists in the New Yorker (faltered about a decade ago),
National Public Radio (NPR) on Comics & Cartoons (awaiting a BUNCH of
updates, but will put online what is done), Stories Without Words : A
Bibliography with Annotations 2008
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/details/wordless-lulu-2008-with-cover__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR06dL8b9$ > (2010 is in
prep; the project was given to Barbara Postema to carry on in 2015);
Cartoonists & Comics in Editor & Publisher : a Mid-1990s  Bibliography
(still useful? Who knows?); "Cartoon reporting or comic strip journalism
(wildly out of date due to the field's explosion); An Index to the
Elementals Universe (who? what?); Cancer and comics (that became Grapic
Tales of Cancer
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/details/2012ijoca-graphic-tales-of-cancer__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR8y_qwhS$ > published
in IJOCA), postage stamps (done better by other people), Hallmark superhero
Christmas ornaments (hey, it was a simpler time w/ no Ebay); and the other
big one I'm still working on, but just put an early version online - Film &
TV Adaptations Of Comics (2007 Ed.) -
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/details/film-tv-adaptations-of-comics-2007-ed./mode/2up__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR6Ry8fb1$
This version is 141 pages w/ an index since it was printed, the current
version is 225 pages w/o index.

Also I recommend checking out an adjacent book that I published  - Biographical
Sketches of Cartoonists & Illustrators in the Swann Collection of the
Library of Congress
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/details/DukeBioSketchesOfCartoonistsInSwannCollAtLOC/Duke-Swann2017/__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR6_ZZqwc$ >
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/details/DukeBioSketchesOfCartoonistsInSwannCollAtLOC/Duke-Swann2017/__;!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR6_ZZqwc$ >
y Sara Duke <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator*3A*22Sara*Duke*22__;JSUrJQ!!KGKeukY!gAWfm91xg-DW17B9V9wqSdsWaUcS9_w6iTSmU5q0aHQOkQB605bGe5HXN8IOz6_y8-INR2RIyA01$ >

If anyone's interested in working w/ or on any of these, I'd be glad to
hear from you.

Mike Rhode