[Comicsstudiessociety] Fwd: PRESS RELEASE: Grand Comics Database Comics History Awards

Mike Rhode mrhode at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 22:48:19 EDT 2022

Sent at the  request of the GCD:

DATE: April 27, 2022 (for immediate use)
RE: Grand Comics Database TM Comics History Awards
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Mr. Donald Dale Milne, Chair, chair at comics.org

The Grand Comics Database TM is excited to announce its first ever Comics
History Awards! The Grand Comics
Database TM is a nonprofit, internet-based organization of international
volunteers dedicated to building a database covering
all printed comics throughout the world. Our main project is our database,
at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.comics.org/__;!!KGKeukY!w6tcV_aV5rLn5VhFYs5JUyPqqIj_3BDXOfiS42bSTW6XZxbmDg-yh-7eqJn2HJGl8WcvEAPuUtr7fzD3vu4JjrxWOUE$ . But in addition to the
database we have a related educational mission: expanding and improving the
public’s understanding and appreciation of
comics, which includes the history of the medium.

As a part of our educational mission we announce the winners of the Grand
Comics Database TM Comics History
Awards. Awards have been made in two categories, best book and best reprint
collection, for works published in English
between January and December, 2020. The awards were expected to have been
made last year and the Grand Comics
Database TM apologizes to all involved, for the delay due to circumstances
beyond our control. The awards are:

Best book - "Dreaming the Graphic Novel" by Paul Williams - $750,
Best reprint collection - "Atlas at War!", for the Introduction by Dr.
Michael J. Vassallo - $200,
Best article – no award.

Paul Williams is Associate Professor of Twentieth-Century Literature and
Culture at the University of Exeter in the
United Kingdom. “Dreaming the Graphic Novel: The Novelization of Comics”
(Rutgers UP, 2020) is his third book, after
“Paul Gilroy”, and “Race, Ethnicity and Nuclear War: Representations of
Nuclear Weapons and Post-Apocalyptic Worlds”.
He also co-edited the collection “The Rise of the American Comics Artist:
Creators and Contexts” with James Lyons. His
new book, The US Graphic Novel, will be released by Edinburgh UP in
September 2022. His book, "Dreaming the Graphic
Novel", also won Honorable Mention, 2019-2020 Book Prize, from the Research
Society for American Periodicals.

Dr. Michael J. Vassallo is a noted comics historian and authority on the
Timely/Atlas period of Marvel Comic’s
history. For the book, in addition to writing the introduction he chose
stories from sixteen different Atlas war titles featuring
the artwork of twenty different artists, many of which are back in print
for the first time. He has co-authored “The Secret
History of Marvel Comics” and written many introductions to Marvel’s Timely
and Atlas Age Masterworks volumes. Dr.
Vassallo also maintains his own Timely-Atlas-Comics blog. He is also a
collector of original comic art, frequent contributor
to comic history publications, and has provided writing and editorial
support to Taschen Publishing.

An Awards Committee was established consisting of three Grand Comics
Database TM members, Tony Rose, Steven
Rowe and Patrick Lemaire, and two members from academia, Dr. Amy Nyberg of
Seton Hall University and Dr. Leonard
Rifas of Seattle Central College. Both academic members have written on
comics history. Approximately 12 works were
nominated and reviewed by the Committee against the following criteria:

 Serious scholarship representing a significant contribution to the
discipline,
 Relevant topic of continuing importance to fans, readers, and scholars,
 Authority in interpretation: depth and breadth of expertise represented,
 Relevant topic of continuing importance to fans, readers, and scholars,
 Authority in interpretation: depth and breadth of expertise represented,
 Spirit of objectivity,
 Research findings handled with skill and assurance,
 Accurate, thorough, clear cross-referencing and indexing,
 Well-written and readable writing style.

>From time to time, the Grand Comics Database TM may undertake additional
projects to help expand and improve the
public’s understanding and appreciation of comics. Our primary project
consists of a free online searchable database and
now contains data on comics from nearly 100 countries. For over twenty-five
years, we have been indexing the information
contained in comic books for the use of fans, collectors, scholars, media,
and anyone else interested in any aspect of comic
books. The effort is and has always been entirely volunteer-driven and
includes comics fans, scholars, and even a number of
current and past comic book professionals! Anyone can join and help provide
missing data, update existing data, or upload
cover scans. We are a non-profit 501(c) corporation in the United States.
Any funds will be used for our goal of
documenting and indexing every comic ever published. You can also help as a
volunteer web designer or programmer: we
always need more technical help.

The Grand Comics Database TM continues to work towards the goal of being
the web’s BEST comic data source!
Please consider for your appropriate categories that would include news on
comics, cartoons, pop culture, literature,
or the internet.
For additional information on the Grand Comics Database TM , please contact
Donald Dale Milne, Chair, at
contact at comics.org . “Grand Comics Database” and the distinctive “GCD” logo
shaped like a comic word balloon, are
trademarks of the Grand Comicbook Database Foundation.