[CaCL] Tuesday: Lee et al 2018 Higher Order Coreference Resolution w/ Coarse-to-fine Inference

Jaffe, Evan jaffe.59 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Sat May 18 15:05:15 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Here's a recent paper on coreference resolution from Kenton Lee and Luheng He (UW, with Luke Zettlemoyer) we'll be discussing at CaCL next time.

https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/N18-2108

Abstract:

We introduce a fully differentiable approximation to higher-order inference for coreference resolution. Our approach uses the antecedent distribution from a span-ranking architecture as an attention mechanism to iteratively refine span representations. This enables the model to softly consider multiple hops in the predicted clusters. To alleviate the computational cost of this iterative process, we introduce a coarse-to-fine approach that incorporates a less accurate but more efficient bilinear factor, enabling more aggressive pruning without hurting accuracy. Compared to the existing state-of-the-art span-ranking approach, our model significantly improves accuracy on the English OntoNotes benchmark, while being far more computationally efficient

See you Tuesday!

Evan