[CaCL] memory network papers

Evan Jaffe jaffe.59 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Sep 18 15:13:25 EDT 2017

Hey all, remember we're doing 4 memory papers this week? Yeah, I forgot
too - start reading now ;)

Sukhbaatar et al 2015: End-to-end Memory Networks
https://arxiv.org/abs/1503.08895

Kaiser et al 2017: Learning to Remember Rare Events
https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.03129

Kumar et al 2016: Ask Me Anything: Dynamic Memory Networks for NLP
https://arxiv.org/abs/1506.07285

Miller et al 2016: Key-Value Memory Networks For Directly Reading
Documents https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.03126

I swapped the original Weston out for the Sukhbaatar, which seems a
little more polished and readable.  Everyone cites it too, so it's #1
priority for discussion.  (feel free to look at Weston 2015, Memory
Networks as well)

The Kaiser is the most recent and has some nice decay-like properties,
and that'll be priority 2.

Kumar is 3rd and extends earlier Weston models to sequences,
incorporating positional information. Haven't looked at it in detail yet.

The Miller adds some encoding hashing something to the Sukhbaatar, so it
seems like an incremental improvement given my short skim - lowest
priority unless I get lots of angry mail with convincing arguments to
the contrary.

See you guys Thursday,

Evan