[CaCL] Next Monday

Fred Mailhot fmailhot at ling.osu.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:37:24 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

Next Monday (03/07), Dahee will be leading/facilitating discussion of
the following (short!) PNAS paper. See you there!

Fred.

Piantadosi, Tily & Gibson (2010). Word lengths are optimized for
efficient communication.

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/9/3526

Abstract:
We demonstrate a substantial improvement on one of the most celebrated
empirical laws in the study of language, Zipf's 75-y-old theory that
word length is primarily determined by frequency of use. In accord with
rational theories of communication, we show across 10 languages that
average information content is a much better predictor of word length
than frequency. This indicates that human lexicons are efficiently
structured for communication by taking into account interword
statistical dependencies. Lexical systems result from an optimization of
communicative pressures, coding meanings efficiently given the complex
statistics of natural language use.